Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Should I read The Silmarillion before or after the LOTR trilogy?

I've read The Hobbit just recently and I want to read more by Tolkien. I understand that The Silmarillion is more of a collection of writings by Tolkien and from what I've gathered it doesn't really matter when or if you read it, but...If you have read it, when would you suggest I read it, before I read the LOTR trilogy or after.Should I read The Silmarillion before or after the LOTR trilogy?
Definitely read the Silmarillion after the trilogy. LOTR is much easier to read, and more entertaining. The Silmarillion is more like history, and can be hard to read in places. Reading LOTR gives you context and familiarity with Middle Earth that you will need to help you understand the Silmarillion. Be sure to read the Appendices in LOTR, as they have links to the trilogy and the Silmarillion.Should I read The Silmarillion before or after the LOTR trilogy?
I loved the Hobbit, I loved the Lord of the Rings. I have read each of them over a dozen times. However I tried 3 times to read the Silmarillion and failed to finish it each time. I just was too bored by it.





So read it after the Lord of the Rings. Good Luck. I hope you like it.
I would read it after. It's interesting...but also some very heavy-duty reading and can be hard to get into. If you read the Trilogy first, you'll have a basis with which you can decipher The Silmarillion.
The Silmarillion predates the LOTR universe .


:0)
after. for me, reading it after (after having read LOTR 8 times) made me more interested in the characters and the full tale of different stories.
after

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
viruses