Saturday, December 5, 2009

On a trilogy, does each book have to have a prologue?

I'm writing a trilogy. I have the first book written and it has a prologue, does the second and third books need to have prologues also? And from a readers point of view, is it more intriguing when there is an epilogue and you know there's a second book?On a trilogy, does each book have to have a prologue?
No.





I'm an editor and I'd be very happy if books dropped prologues altogether, since many writers just don't know how to write them. They put one in, not because it's needed, but because they think it's supposed to be there since all the other writers do it!





A prologue is a leftover from the olden days when writers had to ';set the scene'; to an reader who didn't have radio, TV or vid games to distract them.





I prefer books that just plunge right in and sweep me away starting on page one!On a trilogy, does each book have to have a prologue?
It doesn't really matter if all your books have prologue's or not. It just depends on whether or not they need them. Epilogues are used in order to tie up loose ends, or show what happened to characters after. I, personally, don't think an Epilogue should be put in a book if another is coming out. Its better if it's put in the last book to tie everything up.
Nope, the others don't need a prologue unless you deem it necessary to the story's development or reader intrigue. And I usually read an epilogue as the absolute end to something, rather than a connector between novels, but people have different preferences.
No, prologues are not necessary. And personally, if there is another book, I don't want to read an epilogue. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
viruses