Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Is the Lord of the Rings trilogy easy to read?

Or is it one of those slow, draggy classics that take forever to finish?Is the Lord of the Rings trilogy easy to read?
Slow draggy classics? Is that what you think of classics? That's really a shame. Not all literature is quick to read and instantly gratifying. People are too used to watching movies and being instantly gratified with lots of pictures and a fast moving plot.


I love Lord of the Rings and don't find it boring at all. It is however, long, and quite detailed in the descriptions. If that is something you find boring you might not like the books.


They are books that take their time, but the reader gets a much fuller picture of the world and characters than in some other novels which move the story along faster.


When I finished reading Lord of the Rings I felt as if I'd been there along with the characters. I felt like I knew them, and I knew the world they lived in. Lord of the Rings is a journey that takes a bit of time and concentration, but it's definitely worth it.Is the Lord of the Rings trilogy easy to read?
';It's very slow and draggy and long winded. I read some of it and he spent like two pages just describing gandalf. The movies are excellent and apparently follow the books very closely, but i would have to say that while it is a classic, i believe they are highly overrated.';





The Lord of the Rings are easily the best books I've ever read (opinion obviously), oh yeah highly overrated, that's why they are the best selling fiction novels in recorded history. The movies leave a crap load of things out and even alter major parts of the books. Try having an accurate idea of what you're talking about next time.





What I don't understand are all these little geeks that have read like six or seven Harry Potter books and become cult followers that eat up any bile garbage that has a Harry Potter label on it.





Now to actually answer the question. I forget how long the books are altogether, about 1000 pages. I think Tolkien designed the book specifically so it wouldn't be draggy, what he does is after the Fellowship he only looks at one aspect of the book for a few chapters or a whole book - you will read about Frodo and Sam for five chapters, then Gandalf and Merry then Aragon and Co. So it's not like one long uninterrupted line of events, which would make it slow. It is not like a geeky elf and wizard tale, it is much much deeper, give it a chance.
the first book is called The Hobbit and someone gave it to me ages ago. It took me a while to get into it and I started it several times, but then I decided to actually read it and found it interesting and found out that there was a trilogy that followed and ought it and loved it. I think that The Hobbit explains the basics and is very important as well. I can only recommend it and I have read it many times over since then.
It is what some people consider, ';slow'; and even ';dragging';. Often it takes that to set the basis for a good story as opposed to a ';quick thrill'; type book with little or no substance, especially those aimed at today's Teens in the U.S.. The Lord of the Rings Movies DO take away much of this (and change the story quite a bit) but they are still good. They do take away much more of the story than almost any movie that I ever saw though. For instance, they take away a LOT more of the story from the book than the last Harry Potter Movie did, and although I liked the movie, it was little more than an outline of the book.





Please remember that The Lord of the Rings was written by a professor of English Literature in the 1930s and his communication skills were different than the general public's today.
I found it quite hard to get through when I read it first. But then, I was about 8 at the time!


Not all classics are slow and draggy! If they were, they wouldn't be classics! I point you to all the Jane Austens, Jane Eyre and many many more.


Moby Dick is a bit boring though.. (But that's just in my opinion. If you like it then that's fine!)
In The Lord of the Rings OnlineTM: Shadows of AngmarTM (LOTRO), players can customize certain elements of the game's user interface (UI), also known as ';skinning.'; While we don't allow you to do a full-scale UI replacement, we do give you the ability to replace selected visual elements of the UI. (A full list of these elements and their sizes is provided at the end of this overview.)





This is an updated (and prettied up) version of the information that had originally been posted in their Beta forums which we had copied to our Developer Discussions - Tutorials %26amp; Other Helpful Information forum. It is a combination of the Skinning the LOTRO UI and Art Assets posts.


http://www.lotro-shop.com


http://www.aocgolds.net/
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best book series i have ever read. At times the books can be kinda slow but that's what i like about it. it builds up the story instead of throwing you right in without any idea whats going on. I believe a good story trumps an action packed story any day.
Yes, it does take a long time to finish. But that's just because there are about 600-1000 some pages. It took me about two months to finish the 3 books, and I only skipped a couple of pages at the council of Elrond. It is easy to read if you are into it. If it doesn't interest you, it-will-be-torture. But personally, I loved it! My favourite; movies and books.
It depends, I liked reading it and have reread it many times. Others have found to be long winded and draggy. Read it and make your own mind up is the only way, as different people have different opinions of things.
I read it in my late teens and loved it. I have since bought an audio version and listen to it regulary. Try an audio version, if its abridged it will tell you the story minus the boring bits!
So, so, it's very descriptive and uses English that isn't common these days. It certainly isn't for Elementary kids, but if you get the story it's awesome.
I've read the first one, it was good, and i'm currently reading the two towers. I think you need to be a tolkien fan to read it or like fantasy books. It can drag on a bit I think.
Well, it's hardly difficult. My nine year old son has read it - several years ago. It's long, though. If you have a three second attention span, no, you are not going to find it easy to read.
It's very slow and draggy and long winded. I read some of it and he spent like two pages just describing gandalf. The movies are excellent and apparently follow the books very closely, but i would have to say that while it is a classic, i believe they are highly overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
viruses