Thursday, June 24, 2010

Don't you find the end of Lord of the Rings trilogy quite sad?

I find it's one of the saddest goodbyes I've ever read. Although the evil is finally gone I can't stand seeing three little people saying goodbye to their best friends for ever. It's so sad!





For those who know: what happens to those who die in Middle Earth? Do they also get to go to the Elven Lands in their afterlife? Thanks!Don't you find the end of Lord of the Rings trilogy quite sad?
Here's a quote from The Silmarillion on Men:





';What may befall their spirits after death the Elves know not. Some say that they too go to the halls of Mandos; but their place of waiting there is not that of the Elves, and Mandos under Illuvatar alone save Manwe knows whither they go after the time of recollection in those silent halls beside the Outer Sea. None have ever come back from the mansions of the dead, save only Beren son of Barahir, whose hand had touched a Silmaril; but he never spoke afterward to mortal Men. The fate of Men after death, maybe, is not in the hands of the Valar, nor was all foretold in the Music of the Ainur.';





Aside from the Elves (of which Cirdan was the last to leave Middle Earth), only Frodo, Samwise and Gimli were the only other creatures to have set sail to the Undying Lands. Sam left Middle Earth after Rosie died. When Aragorn gave up his life, Legolas built himself a ship and it was said (recorded in the Red Book) that he took Gimli with him because of their great friendship and because of Gimli's desire to see Lady Galadriel again.





Like in real life, what happens after death is a mystery. Tolkien's saga revolves around what is ';supposedly'; written down (accounts left by Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry, %26amp; Pippin and others). Even what happened after they've crossed over the seas into the Undying Lands we do not know. As for the sad bit, for me, it's a good-feeling sadness. Tolkien's words were so rich that you really feel you're in Middle Earth experiencing its wonders.Don't you find the end of Lord of the Rings trilogy quite sad?
Yes, very. Read Tolkien's other works especially The Silmarillion (if you haven't already). Lots of Elvish names (which for the life of me I can't remember all =D) but I find it more engrossing than even the LOTR trilogy. Thanks! Report Abuse

Yes. I cried when I read the ending in the book and I cried even harder watching the movie in cinema. That song by Annie Lennox (Into the West) is beatiful. The movies and books are beautiful!!





I don't remember reading about what happens to Middle-Earthlings but I don't think they go to the Land Beyond. Only the Elves (and a few chosen ones) do, but then they don't go there AFTER dying. They go there because it's time to hand Middle-Earth to the human race.





Try this site. Just found it myself:)


http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
I agree! I cry for fove minutes after the end, because the goodbye is so sad. It's all very fulfilling, with everything being done, but the ending is sorrowful in a happy way.





Not sure what happens to everyne else. I imagine that Sam, Merry, Pippin, boromir, farmir, etc. and everyone I like gets to be together in ';Heaven';, which i believe is where the boat is taking them. Such great movies...
I suggest reading the Simillarion if you haven't already. I would guess that they don't go the the Elven Lands, but I can't remember if I've ever read of an after-life specifically for Middle Earthlings.
i haven't seen it yet
Frodo is one of the most tragic characters ever created. He gives up any chance at a happy life to save the world. But its not all sad, because most of the other characters end up happy.





As for others dying, in the Silmarillion I remember something about how death was Eru's (essentially god) gift to men. I assume it applies to dwarves and hobbits as well. Try the story (in the Silmarillion) called Beren and Luthien, about an elf who falls in love with a man and gives up her immortality for him.
  • trojan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    viruses