Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Are there any Christians who read and liked His Dark Materials trilogy?

I just finished reading The Golden Compass and I really liked the story but I don't know... I've learned that in the final book The Amber Spyglass the climax is about ';killing God';. Are these books really that bad? The first one didn't seem so horrible to me. I'm a Christian (Catholic) myself. Is it worth reading?Are there any Christians who read and liked His Dark Materials trilogy?
It is absolutely worth reading. Read the rest of the series and make up your own mind. Does being a Christian mean you can't even read (and think) about other ideas?





I loved this trilogy and I'm a Christian. It's about SO much more than ';killing God'; - that is really an over-simplification.Are there any Christians who read and liked His Dark Materials trilogy?
I LOVE THAT STINKIN BOOK! I thought it was more the church like the pilgrims kindah thing , ya know? its been a while since i read it and its great, made me cry, its definitely worth reading. im still a Christian.
Just remember that it is FICTION, and enjoy the story. By the way, God isn't killed, he is freed from prison, and allowed to die, which is a relief to him.
Zorkmonkey-They kiss, they don't 'do it' so grow up.
Well, I'm a spiritual person, but I can't call myself Christian. I don't really have a denomination, but I believe in a higher power, something higher than myself.





I liked the series. A good friend of mind inspired me to read it. Honestly, Pullman's description of ';god'; in this book is a little weird. He has more human characteristics than I would imagine a god being to actually have. The whole way he was ';duped'; into being killed (and this may be a spoiler, so if you haven't read it, skip my post.) was through a deadly sin. He lusted after Mrs. Coulter, he was drawn to her power and her lies about double-crossing Lord Asirel. To me that seems a little too human and a true god would be above all that, see through her lies and double-double-crossing and NOT get himself killed.





Its all Sci-Fi fantasy, people should not get so wrapped up in the very ending of the story. Its about a coming of age of a little girl and her importance in the Adam and Eve type setting Pullman sets up.





Of course, it is as well written as the Harry Potter series and that was attacked too. Any time you start to think freely, religions will attack that. What's so wrong with THINKING?
In the end it does end up being about killing god. I'm a christian but I believe that as long as your believes are strong and you don't think it will offend you, go ahead and read it.
The two children don't have sexual intercourse in the garden. That is a gross misunderstanding of the book.





If you liked the storytelling in The Golden Compass, and if you feel that your faith is strong enough for you to explore other ideas, then why not read the rest? Yes, the book has a decidedly pro-atheist theme, but all atheists are are people who don't believe that gods exist. They aren't out to get you or to hurt you.





A ';god'; figure dies at the end of The Amber Spyglass. He's called The Authority. Whether you choose to see him as a direct reference to the Abrahamic God of the Bible or as a fantasy character in this fantasy world is up to you, as the reader.





The overall theme of His Dark Materials is all about how people should retain their own minds and not give up their lives and thoughts to authority figures without question, no matter who those authority figures are, and no matter what those authority figures tell you about how ';it's for your own good.'; You may choose to see that theme as negative or positive, depending on your point of view and your own personal interpretation of the book.





I will say that anybody who just decides not to read a pro-atheist book because they think they've got atheists all figured out and because they've decided that we're hateful, evil people is selling themselves short and is being intellectually dishonest. And chances are, a person like that knows nothing about atheism - they only know what they've been told. By authority figures. Go figure!





The books are great fantasy novels all by themselves, even if you disregard the pro-atheism theme.
in later books 2 13 year olds DO IT in a garden


hes an atheist and his books are disgusting.


dont read any further, look for other books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
viruses